The Kind blog is now www.loveafoodstory.com

Monday, October 4, 2010

Not Eating Out in Santa Cruz

I just finished reading The Art of Eating In, by Cathy Erway. Cathy is a food blogger turned author who writes a blog called Not Eating Out in New York. For two full years she avoids restaurants and learns how to stop spending and love the stove. Her story has inspired me to do a similar experiment of my own. I just wish that I would have started two years ago!

So, the count down has begun! In just over a week I will be on my dream vacation. I just pinched myself to make sure that I really just wrote that. It hurt, so it must be true! Everyone keeps asking me if I'm ready and aside from feeling a little stressed about money, I am more than ready! So, in effort to save some last minute cash, I have decided to not eat or drink out (including take-out) for the next 9 days. I am including coffee and cocktails which are my weakness. I cook so often that I rarely eat out anymore but my morning coffee and after work glass of wine regularly chip away at my cash flow.

My friend Katie eats out a lot. She has been cooking at home more often lately, but like most twenty-something students she eats a lot of take-out and hits the local bar and restaurant scene a few times a week. I'm curious as to whether my cooking at home (always with local, sustainable, organic ingredients) is more cost effective than her eating out. I asked Katie to track her food and drink expenses with me for the next 9 days. We know that cooking at home is healthier, but is it cheaper?

So here are the rules...

Me: no purchasing of any food or drink at restaurants, bars, or coffee shops. I have a little advantage because I manage a restaurant and a meal and shift drink are part of the deal. I must keep track of all money that I spend on food and drinks at the market and grocery store.

Katie: Keep track of all money she spends at restaurants, bars, coffee shops, Cafe's etc.

Katie the thrill seeker

So far the home team is up! I cooked breakfast and lunch with what I already had in my house and dinner was included in my shift at work tonight. Katie spent at total of $24.76 on food today. Including her discounted shift meal at work. I spent 0. This should be interesting...

1 comment:

  1. this will be fun to watch and I am sure I need to watch what I spend.....over $100.00 a month on coffee alone just isn't gonna cut it....Lia, thanks for inspiring me...

    ReplyDelete