The Kind blog is now www.loveafoodstory.com

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Stopping to smell the roses

It was another one of those weekends. My infinite to-do list was coiling around in my mind like register tape gone wild. I was excited about Kamila's baby shower but those four hours I was going to spend watching my friend open gifts were as precious to me as the tiny pairs of delicately gift wrapped socks were to my friend. My mom and I carpooled to the shower. On the ride over, I exposed my less than enthusiastic attitude about attending.  I had so much  to do before work that night. She reminded me of how dear a friend Kamila is and suggested that we make an appearance and possibly sneak out early. The doting audience was cooing and awing as Kami joyfully showed off  onesies, bibs, and blankets, all in matching sets of two for the twins! She had already opened our gift so I figured it was a good time to make our get away. While all eyes were on the mommy to be, my mommy and I graciously thanked the hostess and slipped out the front door. I felt a tinge of guilt for ditching the shower buy I knew Kamila was blessed with an abundance of support.

Now back in the car, Mom asked if I wanted to make a quick trip up the road to buy some fresh eggs. She often stops at this little chicken farm on her way home from work and has been dying to take me. Her being my Mom and all, she is fully aware how passionate I have become about the origin of everything I consume. Mom has been mentioning the little farm where she gets her eggs for some time now, yet it is only recently that I have shown so much interest in accompanying her. I was familiar with the weathered road signs lining Old San Jose Road offering various produce and eggs, it had just never dawned on me to actually stop. My Mom, Patty, well she stops!  And I love her so much for that. 


I was impressed by Mom's navigation skills. A tiny sign that read "range eggs" was like a mile marker  signaling us to turn down  Doreen's unassuming driveway. We were in sight of the gorgeous, 1960's style farmhouse when I made mom stop her Prius so I could jump out a take a picture of what I thought were baby turkeys (turns out they were turkens!). I captured the moment and we proceeded forty feet to the bluish gray house.
 

There was a door bell on the gate. I let mom initiate the ring as she was the more experienced consumer of farm fresh eggs. Within seconds, a lovely, mature woman came to the door. Mom expressed her interest in two dozen eggs though was rejected and offered only one. Doreen sells one dozen eggs per customer to insure everyone who wants eggs will get them. I was completely content with sharing the hot commodities with my mom. As a single girl whom just fell off the vegan wagon, I can only eat so many eggs. Mom and Doreen exchanged one dozen eggs for five dollars and fifty cents. A pretty good deal considering that Doreen had personally gathered each and every one of those eggs just hours prior to our visit. She encouraged mom and I to take a walk around the property. I was briefly reluctant, my mind momentarily drifted to my laundry, my broken cell phone and the ticking of clock, 4:30pm was coming at me like a tsunami. I figured that technically we should still be at the baby shower so my laundry and broken cell phone would be awaiting my return either way. 

Mom and Doreen



I ditched my anxiety and chose to enjoy the unforeseen afternoon I was now spending with my mom on Doreen's chicken farm. We first noticed the beautiful rose garden, then made our way over to the aviary which also housed a magnificent Koi  pond. It was then that Doreen joined us and became our tour guide. She pointed to the turtle napping on a rock next to the pond, she introduced us to the rabbits, and to Lucy, the family dog. Meanwhile, there were chickens every where! They roam freely around the property, talk about free range chickens! Every door to every coop was wide open with the exception of one because the hen  inside was caring for her newborn chicks. They seemed to be the happiest chickens in the world. 
 
 
We walk and Doreen talks about her life at Lovely Creek Farm. Lovely Creek runs through her property and into Soquel Creek. Doreen and her family have lived on this farm for sixty years. They raise chickens for eggs and meat, two cows for dairy, and a melody of fruits and vegetables. Doreen makes yogurt, soft cheese, and hard cheese once a week and will slaughter a cow for meat if enough friends and neighbors show interest in sharing it. On our way back to the car, passed the rose garden again. Doreen invited us to smell the unbelievably fragrant flowers as she educated us about the different varieties and growing habits of her well parented beauties. It was so peaceful spending that borrowed hour at Lovely Creek Farm. Mom and I thanked Doreen and headed 2.5 miles back
to reality. I'm so glad that we stopped to smell the roses.

 
We made one additional stop down the road at Everett's Family Farm. A different, though equally pleasurable experience. We meandered through the self serve farm stand and scored on some amazing fresh goat cheese, plums, corn, strawberries, tomatoes, and kale... All grown mere steps from where we purchased them. It doesn't get more local than that!!!!  
             

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I want your mom to take ME to this farm!! :::grin::::

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that was dilightful~ From sissy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lia, so glad to read this- you will love my friend Kathy when you are here-she is a fellow foodie and writes a blog hear about organic, etc. She is from new Zealand and I know she would love to connect her blog with yours...it's all about the juice...google that is!! See you IRL next month!

    ReplyDelete