The Kind blog is now www.loveafoodstory.com

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Things that make you go hmmmm...

I had finally learned my lesson! After working countless weddings without proper nourishment, I made sure to wake up a 1/2 hour early yesterday morning to allow myself time to pack a few snacks before we hit the road. Katie and I were headed to Walnut Creek to work my most anticipated event this season. I knew we were in for a long day so I packed granola, almonds, dried apricots and four baby apples from the farm stand. We were 45 minutes into our road trip when I realized I had left the snacks on my kitchen table...

We made it to Walnut Creek with a half hour to spare before it was time to greet our bride. I knew my quaint little farm stand was a world away and we didn't have time to search for a heath food store. There it was, one block ahead of us on the left... STARBUCKS! Did we have to? No, but we needed a coffee fix and a snack before we started our marathon day.

The words "healthy", "fresh" and "whole grain" were plastered across  the packaged deli items like headlines. There was no way in hell I was going to eat anything containing meat or eggs from the friendly neighborhood corporate giant (no offense) so I opted for the "Napa" cheese, fruit, nuts, and crackers. The fruit was three thick slices of red apple. The red skin on the apple was bright and flawless and the flesh was as white as snow. It was then that remembered something I had learned about pre-sliced fruit in a college nutrition class, never eat it! I warned Katie about the forbidden fruit and she decided to forgo consuming the little preservative sponges as well. So, as I sit here writing this, nearly 34 hours of oxygen exposure later, I am frightened to announce that the franken-apples are still pearly white!!!
These are the apple sitting in the bright sun less than 10 min. after opening.
We sneaked away from the wedding with the sole purpose of checking on the apples... These are them 3 hours after opening and sitting in my hot car! 


We needed to run an errand for the bride and I was secretly kind of happy because I wanted to check on  the apples. 7 hours later... zero browning!




When I returned home, 28 hours after purchasing the pre-sliced red apple, I decided to do a little experiment. The apple on the right was cut less than 2 min before I took this picture, and already turning brown! Hmmmmm????

6 comments:

  1. What was the preservative on the ingredients, you remember?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ASCORBATE CALCIUM
    (ask-OR-bait KAL-see-um)

    USES: Ascorbate calcium is the calcium salt form of ascorbic acid (also known as vitamin C) that is used to prevent and treat scurvy, a vitamin C deficiency. Vitamin C may also be used in persons with chronic illness, burns, certain blood disorders, or as dietary supplement.

    SIDE EFFECTS: Stomach upset, diarrhea, and frequent urination may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor promptly. Tell your doctor immediately if this serious side effect occurs: kidney stones. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I will never eat a Starbucks apple again.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty, I suggest avoiding pre-cut packaged fruit all together! Fruit is of the most perishable of our energy sources, think fresh first!

    ReplyDelete