The Kind blog is now www.loveafoodstory.com

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Vegan: Day one, the dinner pary

So, the inspiration for this blog is the book The Kind Diet, by Alicia Silverstone. My new roomie and I (both of whom work at a local steakhouse BTW) have decided to "flirt" with the idea of living a more health conscious, earth friendly lifestyle which includes switching to a vegan diet. Codie and I have decided to blog about our journey, sharing with you the trial and errors of our vegan recipes, stories of falling off the veggie wagon, and what ever may happen to our minds, bodies, and souls (poop and all) along the way.

We invited Joe over for a vegan dinner tonight. Because I like to plan meals around what I already have in the house, I decided to forgo one of Alicia's recipes and work with what I got! Left over grilled veggies from the bridal shower I hosted at my house on Sunday, were a perfect excuse for me to get out my panini press (my favorite wedding gift and another story!). At work today, I was craving a french dip sandwich, piled high with prime rib, dipped in salty beef au jus! Totally "nasty" on the kind diet. The craving only lasted a few seconds. I started thinking about the book and everything thing I have learned not only about the health reasons to avoid meat but the impact that the meat industry has on our environment. I came up with "grilled veggie dips". Whole grain sourdough, grilled veggies, and vegan mozzarella dipped in faux beef au jus, and for dessert, strawberry shortcake with vanilla rice dream. It was delicious! Next time I would ditch the vegan cheese. It was not great, not terrible, just not great. The vegan biscuits for the shortcake turned out awesome. Didn't miss the butter of milk one bit. This is going to be interesting! Stay tuned....
Love and Kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment